Thursday, March 26, 2009

Powershop update

We've now officially switched over to Powershop. The range of electricity packages and products you can choose from is not as huge as the advertising might lead you to believe, but I think there's enough choice to make it worthwhile. (Well, any choice is an improvement on the alternatives.)

What I like about Powershop best, though, is being able to keep track of and micromanage our power use. In fact I think I feel a new obsessive compulsive disorder coming on.

Almost hourly I'm on the Powershop website checking our meter reading against the Powershop estimated reading for us, seeing how much of our paid-for units we've used up, and running round turning things off to see if it makes any difference to how fast the units get used up.

I guess the novelty will wear off soon ...

3 comments:

Ari Sargent said...

hey johanna,

great to hear you have found a way to engage that suits your emerging obsessive compulsive disorder :)

seriously though, your response is our *ideal* response. an engaged customer. who'd ever thought buying electricity could be fun.

Johanna Knox said...

lol - 'intermittent' rather than 'emerging' best describes my personal OCD. (Gosh, did I just say that? I'm replying to the CEO of my power company like he's my shrink.)

Well, yes, I can't deny that Powershop has come up with a very emotionally compelling concept!

I'm still trying to retain a certain cynical distance here though ... :)

Shell (in NZ) said...

I like the idea of checking like that...only it requires the computer to be on, lol...I looked and our estimated savings woudl be $45 a year...I didn't think it was worth the hassle...and not available in Kerikeri when we move, so not much use for us really.