Thursday, October 2, 2008

Solar-cooked squdge

My second lesson of the solar cooking season: Don't use Hings noodles for solar-cooked meals.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hings noodles - they're fresh-ish and cheap-ish, locally made and additive free. But they're best cooked fast, at high temperatures, often with only minimal liquid (e.g. in stir fries). They're not made for low-temperature, slower-than-slow cooking.

I knew all this, I did, but still, yesterday, I thought I'd try them.

I put them in the pot with diluted soy sauce, ginger juice, and various other things, and left them in the solar box cooker from morning till late afternoon.

The title of this post says it all really. The highest praise anyone in the house could heap on this meal was 'moderately edible but let's not have it again', and, 'Can you maybe follow a recipe next time?'

Ah well. Still, I might give them another go when the sun (and so the box cooker's temperatures) climb higher. Just to see.

Learnt my third lesson too: Pay more attention to what the wind's doing. We lost a couple of hours of sunlight in the morning, when we went out and came home again to find the reflector flap had blown down.

No comments: